Everyone that wants to know how his/her website’s traffic is doing has a form of “visitor counter” or web traffic analytics software. By what I’ve seen, the most popular one is Google Analytics.
There’s a free and open source web alternative to Google Analytics and its called Piwik.
I’ve been using this software for several months now and its been great. You can get your visitor data right away, instead of waiting about 24 hours for Google Analytics to give you its results.
Here are some of the features Piwik offers:
- A quick and simple installer. All you need is PHP on your webserver and a database
- A highly configurable user interface
- A plugin system to add more functionality
- An API to integrate your site’s statistics to any web enabled application
- Last visits graph
- Average time on site
- List of referrers and search engines
- List of keywords that people used to find your site
- A graph that shows at the times your visitors came
- List of countries where your visitors come from
- A record of your visited pages and even downloads
And there’s a bunch of more things you can track.
So quit depending on third parties to get your site’s traffic information and use Piwik.